The importance of preselling
The most important thing you can do to increase your affiliate commissions is to presell properly.
Before we start, let’s talk about what preselling actually is. There are two components to it – art & science. It’s a process of taking your reader and getting them ready to buy. Then you send them to the site that sells what you’ve prepared them for. And when it’s done correctly, they don’t know it’s happening.
The gist is that you give your reader some useful information. And give them a link to the product you’re preselling. In a second we’ll talk about how to do actually it. Before we get into that, you should understand what’s in it for you. Some major benefits of this process:
- It builds trust – Readers who trust you are more likely to click your links. And the more clicks you get the more sales you’ll make.
- Preselling is disarming – When you’re preselling vs. pitching, you’re reader doesn’t feel the need to be guarded. Unguarded reading means they’re not filtering what you say. So your message gets across.
- It preps them to buy – Now they trust you and feel open to your message. So they become more receptive to other messages. For example, the sales message on the page you’re linking to. Being open to a sales message is what it means being in a buying mood.
- You make more money – They arrive at the product website prepped to buy. Open to the sales message and feeling safe. The only thing that can result is increased sales!
- Your customers are happier – Plus, they feel they’ve made the buying decision on their own. Versus being pitched or convinced. So they are happier with their purchase.
- It boosts your profits – Satisfied customers are less like to refund. And that translates to more commission staying in your affiliate business.
Obviously, it’s important to presell. You make more money. Your customers are happier. That’s a clear win-win.
OK, so how do you do it?
OK, now you understand why it’s so important. And hopefully you’re convinced you need to start doing it. So, it’s time to break down how it works. Remember, there are two components – art and science.
Mastering the art
The first step is in getting your readers to trust you and open up. Honestly, the only way to do this is to provide real value in you content. The art of this is to provide enough information to be of value, but not enough to satiate the hunger. So you send them to the product website with a hunger for more of what the product provides. Plus they’re not guarded, so they’re more open and likely to purchase the product.
You also have to include some very specific things.
First of all, it’s important HOW you present your information. You need to know where you’re going before you begin. Your goal is to sell the product you’re promoting. How can providing information accomplish this goal? One way is to give them enough info to whet the appetite, but not enough to satisfy it. Or you can give them so much information that it feels overwhelming to do what you’re talking about. In either case, the product you’re referring them to solves the problem for them.
But you can’t link to your affiliate link. Instead, you use a direct link to the product website. This increases your clicks. But, without your affiliate link, how do you get credit? This is all part of the science of preselling. You use the “covert cookie” strategy.
The next trick is to hyperlink specific words and phrases inside the content of the article you’re providing. Hyperlinked words are clicked more than anything else. And if the words you hyperlink relate, your reader will naturally click them for more information.
What you have now is a super powerful system for affiliate marketing success.
OK, here’s the not-so-good news:
This process is not easy – at all! Let’s look at the skills required to pull it off: Good content. First and foremost, you have to be able to write a great article that provides valuable information. Which means you need to be both knowledgable on the subject and capable of writing a high-quality article. Strategic writing. Yes, you must providing useful content. And you have to make the content accessible in order to provide value. And somehow also make them want to learn more. The other approach is to reveal a self-evident problem through the information.
Choosing your products. After that you have to figure out which products you want to promote. Even if you can pull off writing and great article. You’ve wasted all your effort if the product doesn’t sell well.
The technical know-how To be most effective you have to use the “covert cookie” method. This is pretty easy – you just make a 1 pixel X 1 pixel image with no border and make the “source” of the image your affiliate link. (But if you mess it up, your referrals won’t be tracked.)
Wrapping it up:
Now you know what it takes to be a Presell Pro. Preselling properly will boost your affiliate profits up to 500%! It’s absolutely critical to do this every time – and to do it correctly. Take action now. The effort it takes is well worth the benefits…